Monday, March 5, 2012

Online Pre-Employment Tests.





TL;DR (Too Long Didn't Read): Pre-Employment tests suck. There are reasons companies use them. I give you my tips to pass them. There is a link in this article for a possible answer key. There is another link for a 'practice test'.

The following comments are my own personal opinion. While I have thought the issue of pre-employment tests out thoroughly over a period of many years, I am in no way qualified to assess the reliability or validity of these tests. I can tell you that reliability means that it works the same way over and over, while validity means that the test is measuring what it is supposed to be measuring. I can also tell you, through my weak anecdotal evidence of hiring hundreds of employees, that these tests impact the lives and careers of people. I have been amazed at certain clients who passed these tests, and dismayed for excellent workers who were discarded.

Reliability and validity issues are a major concern for these damn tests (oops, I accidentally gave away my feelings). This is a Multi-Billion dollar a year industry, with more billions at stake in Federal lawsuits. Highly commissioned salespeople, whom I like to envision as having slicked back hair and a diamond tooth inset, go to a great deal of effort to convince corporate hiring directors that their system is reliable and valid. THEIR system, designed by a legion of PhD's and Professors is THE ONE SYSTEM that can weed out those troublesome employees.

Companies have decided that these tests are efficient and effective screens and therefore, they should use them to influence hiring decisions. To defend the companies, this was a logical business decision. You see, if a company using these tools is sued for discrimination by a person or group of people, they can get the above mentioned legion of PhD's to testify on their behalf. The PhD's produce graphs, pie charts, and statistical deviation analysis that is more effective at trial than your Director Of Human Resources saying “I 'felt' that such and such was a good 'fit'”.

To continue my defense of 'The Company” retailers lose far more to employee theft each year than they do to shoplifting. Identifying honest employees is crucial. Even if an employee does not steal, it is expensive to replace a bad hire. It costs money to recruit, select, train, and acclimate a worker. So they 'Drink the Kool-Aid' and sign up.

That said, I met with a student last week. Let's call him 'Connor'. He had taken my advice and applied for work at a fast food company. Connor failed to take my advice and get help with the on-line application and test. Connor failed. I know and believe passionately that this young man will be a good worker. I have owned and operated for-profit businesses in the past. This kid is a good hire. But the Manager at the fast food place can't hire him. Connor failed the test, and is not eligible for consideration.

If you want to pass the online test, I recommend that you find a quiet time and place. Take your laptop into the bathroom, and lock the door. Let your family assume whatever they want, you need to find a place for uninterrupted concentration. Seriously. You need to pay attention. These tests ask the same question in different ways. You need to be able to remember your previous answers, and make them consistent.

“Consistent with WHAT?” you may well ask. Your answers need to be consistent with what the “Employee of the YEAR” would answer. You must imagine that you are the model employee. Answer their questions based upon what that person would say.

Despite the litigation issues, and the validity and reliability arguments. Good workers get excluded. Heck, even one of my own Career Counselors, a lady who works for me failed one. She has a certain religious faith, has not only done sales, but been a sales manager, and is one of the highest quality people I know. She has a college degree, and is sacrificing now to get another. She is not eligible to work at Wal-Mart. Connor is a good kid, bur is apparently not able to flip burgers. Something is wrong with the tests, legions of PhD's be damned.

So, go with the flow. Know what answers the company wants, and give it. For an answer key, go here- http://www.timothyhorrigan.com/documents/unicru-personality-test.answer-key.html .

To take a 'practice test', and compare your results, go here- http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/ Remember, the answers are in relation to “The Employee of the YEAR”. We don't understand extroverted Engineers or Bookkeepers, our best ones are much more shy.

Good Luck, and Best Wishes,

Chris

Links to my work, “Beyond a Career Crisis”:

Kindle Edition

Paperback Edition








No comments:

Post a Comment