Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dealing With a Disability


Disclosing a disability to a potential employer is a very challenging topic. First of all, I will not be offering any magic words or tips that are relevant to every situation. That would be impossible. However, I do intend to offer my insight and perspective on the topic.

In a job search, it is often easier for the candidate who has an obvious physical disability than it is for the candidate with a hidden disability. For the person who uses a wheelchair, at least it's out there. We can call the 500 pound gorilla over from the corner, offer it a banana and address the issues. For the person with a mental illness, or (early onset) Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes, Cancer, or any number of problems, a difficult decision regarding disclosure must be made.

First of all, let's discuss not disclosing a problem. There are consequences to that decision as well. If your disability is not static and recurs, you might need an extended period of time off or other accommodation to deal with the problem. Your Grandmother can only “die” so many times. What if it's a stress issue and you need a period of time with reduced work hours or duties? Disclosing at hire might set the table for an accommodation later. It depends on the career, the specific employer and even the specific supervisor and co-workers. I suppose I am talking about an opportunity cost, or at least lost potential. By not disclosing, you could lose a potential ally in the HR Department or even your immediate supervisor.

But then again, in certain fields, we force people to not be open and even to conceal and lie. Have you ever heard of a Police Officer or Airline pilot who was openly diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder? Thank goodness that being in either of those two careers confers permanent immunity to mental health issues and all Law Enforcement and Pilots are “A-OK!”. Anyway, if you choose (or are forced) to clam up, you lose in many instances. At the very least, you have lost the dignity of discussing, admitting and addressing some of the flaws that make us human.

But what if you choose TO disclose? Well, I think, that in the right situation, you might gain an ally. Take mental illness for example. This is one of the most stigmatized medical conditions in our country. And it affects 1 in 17 Americans on a permanent basis. More, mental health problems affect 1 in 4 Americans (that's 57.7 million) annually. Add in any other disabling condition and chances are that the person on the other side of the desk has either been personally affected, or had a family member, neighbor, friend, religious leader or acquaintance with a similar problem. As awareness and openness spreads, things are improving a bit in our society.

However, the question remains. Do I tell my potential employer about my (hidden) disability? Absolutely not. At least not until there is an accepted offer. I am not an attorney, but the way I understand it is that you have certain legal protections if you disclose after an offer of employment. Job offers are serious things, folks. If this type of situation applies to you, you may want to get the personalized advice of an attorney or career counselor.

Martin Luther King had a dream and I have a hope. One day, I hope (and believe) that our society can view and address disability in much the same way that we address diabetes. Imagine a person with diabetes saying “I am so tired of taking my insulin, I am just going to stop”. Or “I don't want anyone to see me going to my family doctor because they'll know I'm diabetic”. Or “I'll just have to tough it out because of my pancreatic imbalance”. I've heard people with mental health and other issues voice their personal versions of these things, reflecting what society feels and teaches.

That stigma transfers to employment. Sometimes, people decide that it is best to disclose their issue to an employer. An example of a reason might be found in a worker with a Bipolar disorder. She knows that every so often, she needs a short period of time off or with reduced hours, duties, etc to balance her medications. Even with the extra time off, she will be more than capable of performing her duties. She is willing to use some of her vacation time to get the treatment she needs. She just needs a small accommodation about the timing of the 'vacation'.

At what point you have this discussion about accommodations is important. As noted earlier, I think that the usual best time for this discussion is after the written job offer and before the start date. The approach is important too. It might be that the discussion is best handled with a talk with the direct supervisor, leaving the HR Department out of it. In other cultures, the reverse might be the case. Keeping open ears at orientation, or asking a few gently probing questions such as “Do you offer flex time?” might be a good start.

OK, great. But what do you say? How in the 'stigmatizing' world do you say “I have a problem....”? I argued with an employer once. I know, I'm supposed to be an advocate, but I'm an argumentative sort and this person was very closed anyway. This particular employer said “I don't WANT people with problems working here”. I pointed to his retail sales floor and told him “You already have people with problems here. About 1 in 4 to be exact. What you just said is that you don't want people who are dealing with their problems. You prefer employees who don't take care of themselves or your business.”

With that thought framework in mind, let's talk about how you tell an employer about your diabetes I mean.......disability. Funny how diabetes would be an easier issue to discuss for some people. Anyway, I have always liked some version of “I am really looking forward to this job. I think I will learn a lot here and do very well. This is a good place for me and the people seem wonderful (Yes, I am advocating blatant booty-kissing). Just so I can be completely honest with you, I need to tell you a little more about myself. “

Just like an employee with diabetes (let's ease them into this discussion) sometimes needs a little help, I do too. Some of the other employees might occasionally need a little extra time to take a kid to soccer, or deal with an aging parent. I sometimes need a little extra time too. I have mood swings (Notice the change AWAY from medical terminology and jargon). I see a doctor and my treatment has been going very well. Things are good, but I know that a couple of times a year, my doctor changes my medication. When that happens, I need a little time to adjust because of the side effects, kind of the same way that your diabetic employees need an extra break when they have to drink a Coke. Now, that doesn't mean that I am some intolerable jerk from time to time. I am still myself and not looking for any excuses or special breaks. I just need to be honest with you and let you know that from time to time, as I work with my doctor, I'll need to take a sick or vacation day. I can do this job and really appreciate an employer who understands my needs (like all the other employees with kids on the soccer team or elderly parents).”

If you have a time when you truly need time off, a reduced workload, or other accommodation, being upfront can set the table to help you succeed in your career. In other jobs and work cultures, you will cut your career throat. A good bit of pressure here, don't you think? Get advice and support when you need it.

At any rate, if your treatment dictates that you should disclose, remember that Bankers, Lawyers, Cops, Butchers, Bakers and Candlestick Makers all have had issues in their own lives or in their immediate families. You might find allies you never knew you had. In some jobs “honesty is the best policy”. Other places warrant a “Mum's the word” approach.   

No comments:

Post a Comment