Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Core Messages, Part 2

Core Messages, Part 2


In the preceding article, I showed how to develop a 'Core Message', your unique marketing position that shows your selling points in comparison to the needs of the employer (and influenced by the competition). In Part 2, the topic is how to use this tool. To simplify the discussion, I am using a Teen Worker as an example, but the principles apply universally.

The first action is to customize the core message for each individual industry or employer. This is important because each employer has distinct needs, and the competitive situation also changes.

For example, you may develop a core message for McDonald's on Main St., which just so happens to be down the block from a large retirement community. They have a bunch of Senior Citizens who work there, and they need people who are willing to work until closing at midnight. At the same time, the McDonald's across town is loaded with young second shift workers, but can't find any daytime help. These realities affect the way that you present yourself as an employment candidate.

So how do you present yourself? Rely on the Core Message. It becomes a thread that runs through the entire process. In Part 1, I showed a teen candidate who developed a simple message of:
  • Perfect attendance at school.
  • I finish my tasks.
  • I take pride in accomplishment.
  • Accurate.
  • Trustworthy.
When this teen applies online at his targeted employer (McDonald's), there is a box that says “Is there anything else you would like us to know?” All the other teens leave it blank or write in “I will be hardworking”. OUR teen writes in “I have had perfect attendance at school for the last two years. I finish what I start, and I take pride in my work. I am accurate, and appreciate the trust that an employer has in me.”

Later in the online application process, it asks our teen if they would like to upload a resume. Most teens just skip this. Our future employee uploads one that matches his core message (See The Simple Resume at http://thejobsguy.blogspot.com/2012/02/simple-resume.html).

Assuming that the employer has a need, and our teen has done a good job of demonstrating his ability to meet that need, there will be a telephone call. The Hiring Manager may screen briefly, and ask a few questions. When this happens our teen candidate does not need to panic, they have a (successful) Core Message prepared:

Hiring Manager-”Can you tell me a little about yourself?”
Teen-”Well, for the last two years, I have had perfect attendance at school. They gave me a gift certificate because it is hard for students to do.”

Hiring Manager-”Do you have any experience?”
Teen-”Since as long as I can remember, I have had to do chores around the house. I also cut grass for a lot of the neighbors and do yard work. I think that experience has helped me learn to take pride in my work.”
This type of brief telephone interview is likely to result in a face to face interview. When that happens, the Core Message comes back into play. By the time you get to a formal meeting, you know that they are looking for the 'product' that you are selling.

Now, for a couple of tips and notes. The Core Message is your 'bullet points' or highlights. Think of this as a guide, not a script. You do not want to become robotic, or inflexible. If new information comes up through the process, and it is helpful, add it in.

The Core Message becomes the thread that ties everything together. It helps you to have a consistent, focused presentation, and helps you show the employer the information they need to select you over the other candidates.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
Chris


Links to my work, “Beyond a Career Crisis”:

Kindle Edition

Paperback Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment