Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Interesting answers to boring interview questions


Interesting answers to boring interview questions.


Tell me about yourself. What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses? Where do you see yourself in five years? Tell me about a time when you had to think out of the box. Tell me about an achievement of which you are proud. Why should I hire you?

Everyone has heard these boring (some say stupid) interview questions. Did you realize that these stupid questions are a great opportunity to continue your Core Message? Think about it. Something you said resonated with the employer. Do more of that. You did some research, and found where your strengths and skills matched their needs. Keep that up in the interview.

Here is how to do that. Let's say that you are an electronics salesperson and are interviewing for a better position at Best Buy. You met or exceeded your sales targets all 14 months that you have been at your current job. You won a local contest for adding batteries to electronics purchases, and received a commendation for turning a huge customer return into a different sale.

So on to the interview. They say “Tell me about yourself”. Candidate Second Place would answer “I am an animal lover, I have 6 cats, and two goldfish named Mr. Precious and Jaws Jr. I collect antique Pokemon Cards, and I love unemployment.”

YOU answer”I am a goal oriented person. I met or exceeded my sales targets 14 months in a row, because I help the customer find the solution that best fits their needs.”

The Interviewer says “Tell me about an achievement of which you are proud”. Candidate Unemployment says “When I was 9, I helped my Girl Scout Troop sell 18,000 boxes of Thin Mints.”

YOUR 'achievement' answer? “A customer walked in with a large return of cell phones one day. The Sales Associate who had helped them before was off, so I handled it. They were disgusted, and ready to throw the phones on the counter, get a refund and go elsewhere. They were seniors, and they bought 6 brand new smart phones for themselves, their adult children, and some grand kids. All with unlimited data, texting, GPS, cases, spare batteries, all the bells and whistles. I took the time to listen to them, saved the sale, and found the right solutions for them. They still bought 6 lines, but this time it was the right six lines. I was proud of that, and I received a District Customer Service Award”

At any rate, what you have said has been effective enough to get you into an interview. So, when they ask you stupid questions, seize the opportunity to sell yourself.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment