Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Options


Options

Happily, we live in an interesting time. Sadly, we live in an interesting time. I once had a conversation with a pretty good Martial Artist. He told me that “for the victor, there are many options. The strategic goal of a conflict is to remove options from your opponent.”

Job searches can be a fight. Clients often tell me “I have applied EVERYWHERE! All I have to show for it is 363 rejections and 1 restraining order.” Admittedly, I made that part up. I haven't OFTEN had clients with restraining orders. The desperation is all too often real. 

Please consider the following options.

First of all, if you are unemployed, consider a temp agency. Perform your due diligence, get references, talk to active clients, and make sure that you are with a reputable firm. If so, try a prospective job for a little while. You get to try the work for a while and see if it really is a good choice for you. You might work your way into a new career. In addition, you get paid to make this decision.

Another alternative might be contract or project work. In every economy, even a down one, someone is making money. As companies have downsized, they have also discovered that the work needs to get done. Many places have turned to Independent Contractors to perform their work. For the company, there is no payroll tax, benefits and other costs associated with that “employee”. For the worker, there is no employer contribution to taxes and no benefits.

Provisional (or conditional) status is another, although trickier option. Personally, I don't care for this approach in many circumstances, but it is a tool that is appropriate in some limited situations. Provisional status is often related to contract or commission work and functions this way: “Employer, you have a need. I believe I can fill that need. Hire me now and I will accomplish X. We will review my performance at the end of Y days and if I have met my goal, you will know I can do what I promise. If I have failed to meet my goal of X (goal) by Y (date), then we will part ways, no obligation, no problems or expectations and no questions asked. This rare approach is normally used in a commission or sales field by an experienced person who brings a 'book' of existing business with them.

'Jigsaw jobs' is another way to succeed, particularly when times are tight for employers. In some economic situations, employers will often have work that needs to be done, but they are risk-averse. So, instead of hiring a typical full time worker, they bring on one or two part time employees. This can be you, but if you need or want full-time work, you may need to piece together 2 or 3, often unrelated, jobs in order to get the income that you need. This can be a balancing act, but does offer the advantage of giving you experience in a particular field, building contacts, or just keeping you in the game, so to speak.

Starting your own company is an option that many people investigate after a career crisis. Entrepreneurship is a topic all to itself and beyond the scope of this work. However, there is some advice we give to folks on this topic. First of all, if your idea is to start a business in an area that is new to you, get a related job first. I am saying proceed logically. Let someone else train and pay you to learn the business. You can also develop a network of contacts and have time to develop a business plan. Also, there is a distinct set of skills related to starting and running a successful business and frankly, not everyone possesses those skills. Finally, before you jump into something with the sole purpose of “not having a boss” please consider that everyone answers to someone else in some way. It may be a supplier or a key customer, but everyone has a “boss”.

To conclude, a job search is like a fight. It is difficult, and some days it seems as though there are forces which are deliberately trying to beat you down. Keep a good attitude, and find your options.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Chris

Links to my work, “Beyond a Career Crisis”:

Kindle Edition

Paperback Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment