Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Burned Out in the Social Services, part 2

I did an earlier article on burnout in the social services. I liked the topic, it is relevant, and I think I could do a better job at having a conversation about burnout. So, I thought I would try again.

Burnout is that job phenomenon that everyone faces, regardless of profession, sooner or later. It is different from a stress-induced problem, though we often try to apply stress management techniques. In the human services, I feel that Burnout is often caused by overwhelming demands combined with a perceived lack of resources and supports.

Why do I feel that way? Frankly, I've personally burned out, left the field for a few years, and returned stronger because of the experience. My burnout was because I let myself be put into a situation where I felt that I was on an island, without supports, but I maintained my internal desire to do more. To borrow a football term, “I out-kicked my coverage”. In football, the defenders get strung out, isolated and ineffective. For me, that meant that I wanted to do more, didn't have the needed supports, and became frustrated. If anger is an explosive emotion, frustration is a corrosive one.

Here are my signs of approaching burnout:
  • You have bad Sundays, dreading the return to work on Monday.
  • Your energy level is drained past the point where you know it is unhealthy.
  • You have two kinds of tasks-boring and unimportant OR overwhelming.
  • You become reactive (as opposed to proactive).
  • What you do doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.
  • You feel that don't have a professional support system (Boss, Co-worker, etc.)

This is the point in the article where the reader might expect some tips about handling stress at work. I am not including stress tips in this article. Stress and this 'burnout' phenomenon are distinctly different. Stress is generally about too much. Too many clients, too many regulations. Too much paperwork. Too many Bosses. All problems, and a different article.

Burnout is about emptiness. Not enough of something. I'm empty. I have no more to give. I have no help/support/direction. It used to never be about me, but now it is about just surviving to earn a paycheck. I used to be so caring/giving/motivated. Now I am empty, I have nothing left to give. I used to care, and worked harder/smarter/better. Now I am worthless to my clients.

What do you do about it? Be your own Client .
  • Recognize the problem.
  • Assess the situation.
  • Develop a plan of action.
  • Get help as needed.
  • Implement same.
  • Review progress.
  • Revise and adapt as you go.

Sound familiar, Social Services Worker? Yes, it is a Service Plan. Do one for yourself. In writing. Hold yourself accountable. Forgive yourself if you stumble along the way. Get help. Keep going.

You've helped hundred or thousands of people. Why not help yourself? You can do this.  We need YOU, and we need you to be healthy enough to keep helping others.  You can do this.  It can be better.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Chris












No comments:

Post a Comment